Saturday, October 31, 2009

Do you take Metformin for insulin resistance?

If you take it, what side effects have YOU had personally? I know what the side effects are in the package warning, but I am curious to know what side effects people who are taking this medicine are having. Also, if you are taking birth control also, since the medication is only to help with insulin resistance, do you have any added side effects in combining the two medications?
Answer:
I have been on Metformin for 1 month and the first 2 days of taking it I had diaherria but other than that I am doing great on it, I don't have an appetite (but I still eat but I eat less) and I have lost 15 lbs. I feel great on it.
What are the possible side effects of metformin? Stop taking metformin and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives).
A small number of people who have taken metformin have developed a serious condition called lactic acidosis that has been fatal in up to 50% of cases. Lactic acidosis has occurred most often in people whose kidneys were not working properly. Liver problems may also increase the risk of developing lactic acidosis. Stop taking metformin and call your doctor immediately if you experience a feeling of general discomfort or sickness; weakness; sore or aching muscles; trouble breathing, unusual drowsiness, dizziness or lightheadedness; unusual or unexplained stomach upset (after the initial stomach upset that may occur at the start of therapy with metformin); or the sudden development of a slow or irregular heartbeat. These may be signs of lactic acidosis. Metformin does not usually cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Nevertheless, hypoglycemia may occur in the treatment of diabetes, as a result of skipped meals, excessive exercise, or alcohol consumption. Know the signs and symptoms of low blood sugar, which include hunger, headache, drowsiness, weakness, dizziness, a fast heartbeat, sweating, tremor, and nausea. Carry a non-dietetic candy or glucose tablets to treat episodes of low blood sugar.Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take metformin and talk to your doctor if you experience:nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, or diarrhea at the start of therapy;
abdominal bloating or increased gas production; or
decreased appetite or changes in taste (metallic taste in your mouth).
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
What other drugs will affect metformin? Metformin can interact with many other medicines and many medications may affect your condition. Do not take any other prescription or over-the-counter medicines or herbal products without first talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
i hope if u visit this site u can get good answers. http://thediabeteszone.com/
I take Metformin three times a day, and have had no side effects. I also am on insulin. The side effect from insulin is weight gain. I did not know know that until I complained to my doctor of weight gain, and she told me it was the insulin.
Watch out for the guy above me promoting a website which is a scam cure for diabetes.
Please flag him.
^ I took Metfromin when I was first diagnosed, it gave me headaches, I never had headaches like these before and I've had migraines. Needless to say I stopped taking it. I'm not on the pill, sorry can't help you there. I hope this helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Do you know Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net