Saturday, October 31, 2009

Do you suffer from panic attacks? I do, but it's much better than when it first started.?

Would like to hear from people that really have this. I am curious as to when it first happened, what you thought when it did, and how you are coping.
Answer:
Catherine, I DID have panic, from onset at age 6 until I was in my late 40's. It came -and it went -and it came, and it went.Ultimately, with the right therapist, what I came to learn, or to believe, is this:1. There is "situational," panic, where the anxiety clearly relates to some circumstance which causes the panic. Change the circumstance and the panic goes away. An important exam, a bad marital problem, etc., are examples.2. There is panic brought on by phobic responses: spiders, fear of heights, etc.3. There is "chronic" panic that seemingly "comes out of nowhere," or, "out of the blue," as panic people will often say. Of course there ARE reasons -but they are hidden or repressed.I'm addressing folks in category 3; but be aware that the other types often go along with it.4. The susceptibility to panic probably has a genetic component, same as intelligence, good coordination or a predisposition to diabetes. There is ample research to support this idea.5. Age is related to onset and remission. The age ITSELF has nothing to do with it, but other changes that occur as we get older may increase or decrease vulnerability to panic.6. In my opinion -and I've had therapists agree with me on this- the genetic vulnerability to panic may at one time in the distant past, been an adapative advantage for prehistoric humans. The tendency to constantly check the surroundings and a high sensitivity to change may have made the first "panic victims" very good detectors of approaching danger (wild animals at night, enemy tribes approaching, etc.). Such people may have been regarded as very gifted by others, and possibly were elevated to "medicine man" or seer.7. Panic attacks are a way for the brain to cut through the emotional clutter in the same way a warning flare lights up the sky. They are telling you that "something is wrong." Find out what's wrong, and panic is no longer needed, psychologically, to get your attention. In your case, look at your life situation starting a year to 6 months before the onset of panic -then look at it after symptoms got better. What changed in your life? It need not be something catastrophic such as death of a loved one or a lost love; it could just as well be a creeping sense that all is not as it seems to be: someone is cheating on you, a child might have a drug problem (or might not) or your situation at work is really not going along as you expected or were promised. The "bigness" is measured not by the events or circumstances themselves, but rather by the size of their "emotional footprint." A stone may be tiny, but if it is lodged in your shoe, very painful and awkward to get rid of. This means that, as many victims have discovered, that the panic can be triggered by "stupid" things.8. Drugs -the right ones- can help by restoring your functionality socially and giving some emotional breathing room. But they are not enough. Talk therapy with a qualified person who also writes the prescription is the best combination.9. In my case, the onset of panic episodes was associated with challenges, since early childhood, that I was unable to meet to the satisfaction of my father -in MY MIND. My uneasiness with perceived expectations was later transferred onto authority figures -or those who might hold some power over me- and peers who I respected. The very earliest ideation -age 6- was fear of death. "What's going to happen to me?!" Imagine that, a 6 year old going through the same angst as Jean Paul Satre, fer Pete's sake! Long story short, the fear of death was an "allegory," it was fear of LIFE that was at issue.In later adult life, the anxiety transferred to situations where lack of control was an issue -such as flying, speaking before groups, etc.Finally, a bad job and marriage brought on spontaneous, "out of the blue" episodes that drove me to therapy, and in about 2 years I was out of the job and out of the marriage. The death of my mother played a part; because, without her love and support, my father turned to ME for emotional support and "steadiness." It was as though we two had returned to those early childhood days and taken a different path. He became MY dependent in some important ways. Through it all, mere awareness of the developmental background to my panic gave me an edge in self-understanding and self-acceptance. Life now is very different and very good.Your story, Catherine, will have twists and turns of its own -but doing the emotional archaeology will help you discover how you got here, and where to go.I'm betting -just betting- that you are of above-average intelligence. Fact: panic tends to occur more frequently among intelligent people. And that's also your edge -you've got the mental muscle to deal with it.What I can tell you is, that while you may receive tons of advice here on Yahoo about dealing with symptoms -everything from giving your life up to Christ to eating chocolate- what YOU want to deal with is underlying causes. Trust me: deal with those, and the panic will resolve itself.I'm available for more discussion at your pleasure, and I wish you well, Catherine.
First happened when I was about 15, on and off till about 26 when I started medication. I felt like I was going to die every time and nobody could talk any sense into me at those times. I have been on SSRI's for about 4 years for another problem and they have helped a little. Years of CBT has also helped me cope. I can now realise when a panic attack is coming on and take it for what it is.
My friend had a spell of panic attacks when she started having tension headaches and was prescribed Torredol. She decided on her own that Torredol was not enough so she took it with Excedrin and Sudafed. She also drank coffee shortly after (she's brilliant), had a bad reaction to the combination, and for the next month/month and a half was plagued by intense panic attacks. She began seeing a psychologist and soon enough she felt better.
More people have panic attacks than you can ever imagine. Mine started at a big dinner at work. I completely lost it, thought I was going to pass out, and had to leave. Afterwards I realized what my problem was. That incident kind of fed on future ventures, especially going out to eat without "safe" people.I am now on Prozac and Klonopin, and feel I can do anything! No more attacks and lots more happiness!Just remember that you will get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Do you know Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net