Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Doctors/pharmacists etc - which is stronger - Betnovate lotion or mometasone lotion?

Both have been prescribed for impetigo in the scalp which cleared up then returned. Antibiotics were prescribed too.Betnovate scalp application (betamethasone valerate 0.1%) prescribed the first time; Mometasone 0.1% scalp lotion prescribed the second time.The doctor (not my usual one and I really wasn't impressed with him) said the mometasone was stronger.The pharmacist said the betnovate was stronger but then relented saying "perhaps I'm wrong" when I told him that the doctor had said the opposite. Was he just trying to be loyal - the pharmacy is linked physically and is part of the doctors' surgery.They didn't have any mometasone in stock and I have to collect it today. Would like to know if I am doing the right thing as I have betnovate already. Don't want to buy a weaker lotion for a problem that is really persistent and has already had three lots of antibiotics thrown at.
Answer:
Mometasone 0.1% is slightly stronger than Betnovate (betamethasone valerate 0.1%).
The confusion probably comes from the fact that betamethasone comes in different forms, and betamethasone dipropionate is much stronger than Mometasone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Do you know Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net